News Release: Senators and State Policy Leaders to Speak at Platte Institute Summit
Contact: Adam Weinberg
September 13: 2018 Platte Institute Legislative Summit
State Senators, Farm Bureau & State Chamber Leaders to Speak
LINCOLN, NE – The Platte Institute will host its 2018 Legislative Summit on Thursday, September 13 at the Embassy Suites in Lincoln (1040 P Street, 68508) in Regents Ballroom B. The program begins at 8:30 a.m. with registration and breakfast at 7:45 a.m. An agenda is attached. Platte Institute staff will moderate panels and presentations with the following speakers:
- State Sen. Laura Ebke
- State Sen. Curt Friesen
- State Sen. Mike McDonnell
- State Sen. John Stinner
- Larry Dix, Executive Director, Nebraska Association of County Officials
- Dan Esch, Doulgas County Clerk/Comptroller
- Lee McGrath, Managing Attorney, Institute for Justice
- Jared Meyer, Senior Fellow, Foundation for Government Accountability
- Jay Rempe, Senior Economist, Nebraska Farm Bureau
- Lynn Rex, Executive Director, League of Nebraska Municipalities
- Matthew Shafer, Policy Analyst, Council of State Governments
- Jared Walczak, Senior Policy Analyst, Tax Foundation
- Joseph Young, Executive Vice President, Nebraska Chamber of Commerce & Industry
Program topics include Nebraska’s new job licensing review process, a presentation on passing the state’s two-year budget, how local governments and the Legislature can work together, and property tax reform. The Platte Institute staff will also present the 2018 Connie Brown Freedom Award at the opening of the Legislative Summit. The award is presented to a Nebraskan whose work has helped to advance economic freedom in the state.
The Platte Institute hosts its Legislative Summit annually. The event offer lawmakers, community leaders, and Nebraskans a preview of policy solutions that can remove barriers to economic opportunity in the upcoming legislative session. The theme of this year’s Legislative Summit is “Working Together,” which highlights the need to build a nonpartisan 33-vote consensus on major issues in order to overcome a filibuster in the Unicameral.
Members of the media are welcome to attend the Summit. The Legislative Summit will also be streamed on Facebook at Facebook.com/PlatteInstitute. The stream may be quoted or recorded for broadcast and will also be available to view on the Platte Institute Facebook page following the livestream.
For more information, please contact Adam Weinberg at (402) 452-3737 or at email@example.com.
The Platte Institute advances policies that remove barriers to growth and opportunity in Nebraska. For more media resources, please visit PlatteInstitute.org/Media.